Thursday, September 12, 2013

This Post is About The Dog

I figured I'd make it simple for you folks who don't care about my dog.


I'm becoming one of those Instagrammers who posts pictures of their dogs 24/7.. but dawwww isn't she cute?! She's pondering her little doggie existence. 


First I wanted to share with you my Petsmart Grooming experience. I'd give it a 9/10 purely because I hate numbers and nothing ever gets a 10. 

Price: Reasonable I paid $46 for a 60 pound short haired dog. Prices vary for size, hair length and add on packages.

Product: I purchased the hound package along with the "Brett Michaels Rockin Top Dog Package" Not because I have an affinity for Brett Michaels, simply because the cologne spray that comes with it is heavenly..

Service: I went to the Suffolk/Harbor View (Virginia) PetsMart in hopes that the higher income clientele would have encouraged them to hire more upstanding individuals. My groomer was Brie. She was fantastic. Buttercup took to her quickly and calmly went with her. When I picked Buttercup up, her tail was wagging and she ran straight for me. 

When you pick up your dog PetsMart gives you a report of all of the services the dog received as well as commentary and suggestions from the groomer.
Some comments Brie made we had been aware (dry skin) of but something she brought to our attention was Buttercup's right ear. She has a severe over production of wax, which lead the groomer to believe she may have a yeast infection.

Well you guys know, we're moving in a week. There is no way we can afford a vet bill right now. We have plans to take her Monday the 23rd. I made Andy promise.
So I had to go online and find some home remedies that could possibly ebb the spread of the possible yeast infection so that Buttercup wouldn't be in even worse shape on Monday due to our negligence. 

A few things I found: 
 
Garlic can be used as an antiseptic. Soak a fresh clove of garlic in olive oil overnight. In the morning, apply a few drops of the olive oil to the inside of the affected ear. Do this twice a day for at least a week.

Vitamin E Oil-  Use a syringe to place a few drops inside the ear for pain relief. (Break open a Vitamin E capsule)

Vitamin C- A daily vitamin C supplement in a dog's food can help to calm  the inflammation in the ear canal. Although one should always check with your vet before administering vitamins to your 
dog, because Vitamin C is water soluble, and any extra will simply come out in her urine, 
I researched the proper dosage for her weight (500mg/day) and have watched her daily to see the results. I suggest speaking to the vet though, many vitamins are fat soluble and can hurt the dog if they are taking too much.

Vinegar- Vinegar is acidic, so it efficiently battles the buildup of yeast bacteria in the ear. You can use Apple Cider Vinegar or White, it doesn't matter. First you clean out your dog's ears with the ear wash you can find at any local pets store. Afterward, wipe out any extra moisture with a tissue. Make a mixture of half water/half vinegar and soak a cotton swap to gently apply to the inside of the dog's ear. 

Buttercup loathes it. She runs the other way if I sit on the couch and call her to me. Heh. Poor kid.. between the Flea medication/Peppermint extravaganza and this... she'll be scarred for a while. It's a big deal to me to keep this under control until we can get her to a vet. I'm hoping the vet won't scold me. 

She's laying on the couch next to Andy while he does his piles of German homework and hasn't shown any signs of pain or discomfort as of yet. 

Well folks....

 I have been up since 4 am.. and I think it's about time for some shut eye...
but first.... dawwwww... 




No comments:

Post a Comment