Sunday, August 25, 2013

Let's Catch You All Up...

(I started this blog the other night, due to obvious reasons, I got tired and went to bed before it's completion..  Finishing it out today)
I'm sitting on my couch with a glass of Jack Daniels and Pepsi on the end table next to me. Before you stage an intervention, this is not a regular occurrence. Obviously, because one glass had me explaining Peter and the Wolf (Sergei Prokofiev version) to Andy while he kindly acknowledged me occasionally glancing over his laptop with a smile.

Alcohol is not the answer to any problem. Unfortunately, after a bubble bath, meditation and some yoga I simply can't get the muscles in my back to relax from how tense they have been over the last few days. I know, it's time to go see a chiropractor but for tonight.. cheers. 

The last few days have been a nightmare. They shouldn't have been. Motivated and incredibly flexible seller, fantastically resourceful realtor, available finances, what could go wrong? 

We'll start with Wednesday. We received our purchase agreement from Maureen via Dotloop that evening. Andy "Eeyore'd" his way through it,  e-signing/initialing at all of the required spots, sans expression or excitement. All of the sudden he exclaimed, "September 19th!!!" The realtor had scheduled the closing for September 19th, a month away. This had us scrambling most of that evening to pull the rest of the needed material together and begin planning our move. After a quick discussion with our Quicken Loans Lender, Nigel,we found out our monthly mortgage payment will be a mere $350 with escrow included at an interest rate of 4.5% and all we would have to bring to the table on the day of closing was $400 (A total closing cost of $1200 that includes the $400 appraisal fee and an Earnest Money Deposit of $500). We went to bed Wednesday night, excited and nervous.

Thursday morning I began Pinteresting. I decided that Antonio Gaudi would be my inspiration. 

Hellooooo Highpoint! Talk about increased appraisal value. I should call This Old House and see what they can do for me.

    On the way home that night, Andy spoke to Nigel who, out of no where asked, "Hey wait, are you guys relocating?" What? Of course we are. Where have you been all this time? Andy, with his fantastic deep voice and North Carolina accent slowly answered, "Yes..."Of course Nigel replied, "Well... that's going to be a problem."The VA requires the homebuyer to provide at least one pay stub from the job they are relocating to, unlike an FHA which simply requires a letter of intent stating the compensation   that has been offered and the date of hire.

How on earth are we going to do that before September 19th? We aren't. We will have to live there for approximately a month before Andy gets a pay stub. So the next 24 hours consisted of Andy and I pulling something out of our rear ends. On Friday afternoon, after a day filled with anxiety, we got the email that the seller has agreed to allow us to rent the home for a month and close in mid-October. Andy will be putting in his two weeks notice after Labor Day and we'll be giving our land lords notice when we turn in rent this month. We should be moving into the house September 20th. *commence lamaze breathing.. now*

My daughter, Haddie (4) was previously enrolled in Surry County's Pre-K program. Now that's going to be changing a bit. Guilford County has already closed their Pre-K registration for a year but they do have a program called Guilford Children that allows me to find a reputable daycare/Pre-K combo for free within the county. Pre-K isn't like Kindergarten, the county has a limited number of spaces and uses assessments to give the places to children they feel are in need of a Kindergarten prep-program. Haddie already knows her ABC's, can write her name and can count rather high. Although I'm not stressed about her ability to assimilate into Kindergarten efficiently, I would like her to have some friends in the area. That's why I decided to enroll her in Guilford Children.

As someone who enjoys consistency and planning, this move may be a bit difficult on Haddie but I'm trying my best to explain it to her. I've been looking for books about moving and Amazon has a pretty decent selection. She has seen pictures of the new house and has expressed excitement about being closer to her step-brothers. I think the biggest thing she's going to miss is her Daddy. We were given a dog recently who has latched herself onto Haddie and I think this will help. She has already shown signs of disciplinary improvement just by having that little friend to take everywhere and love on. I'll write about the dog on another day. Too much to put on here.

We'll be commuting back and forth a few times until the school semester is over, fortunately most of our classes are online.  My grandma was telling me that although she was happy that I was going to be able to experience new places, she thinks that I'm going to miss Surry and realize quickly what I'm missing when I leave. I'll miss that sigh of relief that I exhale every time cross the Surry town limits. Despite it's many flaws, this has always been home but I think it's time for us to establish our own family now. I'm looking forward to disproving the statistics one reads about divorced families by establishing a stable and loving home. I can't wait for Andy to be able to work 40 hours a week and still be able to pay bills on time. I can't wait to wake up at my usual 6-6:30am with Andy still laying beside me. Yeah, I'm going to miss the safety of Surry, but what is safety in comparison to a life filled with stability, substance and vivacity?

You can tell what I wrote today.. and what I wrote Friday night ;) but I suppose it's apparent that the muscles in my back have began to loosen. If anyone feels like helping us pack... You are welcome but don't be surprised if I'm a bit of a nut case. 


No comments:

Post a Comment