Monday, March 16, 2015

Retail Etiquette

These days I can be found floating amidst the aisles of your local office supply retailer. I insure the auto-ordering system has a correct idea of what items we do and do not have in stock. If we don't have an item anymore, I tell our computer system where it went. If the item you're looking for isn't in stock, its ultimately my fault barring warehouse complications.   At Wal-Mart my job was done by multiple departments ie: receiving, claims, inventory, stockers. 30+ people.
Our store is a significantly smaller scale, so.. *flex*...

Our Company is big on customer service and doesn't have an after hours stocking team, so I spend a lot of time on the floor, offering assistance to customers. Until working for my company I had no idea that if I were to go into a store looking for a blue 2in binder, I could be greeted with 4-5 variations of the exact same thing.

Standard
Standard with Label space
Standard with Laminated pocket on the sides
Heavy duty-standard
Heavy duty with pockets
Better Binder- rubber lined binder

With so many choices, many of the folks in our little country city are bewildered and find me, stocking blue Uniball gel rollerball pens with stylus- no these are the one's without the stylus sorry.. damnit now I have to do it all over. Their bewilderment plain on their face, I say with a smile, "Hello! Is there anything I can help you find?"

Some are reasonable and simply reply, "I can't figure out the difference between these..."
Some are perky and make a joke about their age and society moving forward without them.
Some are angry. They've found their item but we're out of stock and want to know why I-personally threw away their cable they decided to purchase at an office supply store instead of Best Buy.
Some blame their confusion on the company. "You people" have changed the store around and now they can't find anything.

A majority of the time, I respond with an empathetic remorse, mirroring their own disdain and expressing my frustration with the circumstances and offer to solve their problem.

Although, occasionally the initial distain and remorse gets old. This customer wants me to FIND them their product. I find it online and explain that the shipping is staying 4-5 business days but the shipping will be free and everything should be dandy.

Everything is not dandy.
The customer then wants to know why on earth anyone would make him wait 4-5 business days. At this point they're interrupting my every remorseful suggestion. He "I ain't... don't wanna" go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy. They want their cord NOW, why won't I make it go faster? Didn't find it at the one store he looked at and now we don't have it either.
I make a light hearted joke now that everyone's out to get him today, huh?
He didn't like that.
My supervisor, who had been present for the entire conversation,  pulled me aside later and said, "Sarah, we need to talk about earlier.."
I apologized and said I knew what I had done wrong and it was unprofessional.
He stopped me mid-sentence and said, "No, Your mistake was assuming that he had a sense of humor."

I think I live that way. I assume that everyone has good vibes. When they're poop heads I'm deeply bothered and must analyze it vocally in detail. Why would someone be so awful? There has to be a reason. Maybe, some folks are just having a bad day.
Maybe some folks are just jerks.
Here's to not being a jerk and trying to spread positive juju.
xoxo
 


No comments:

Post a Comment