Saturday, March 28, 2015

Rupi Kaur and Instagramming McDonald's

No one takes a picture of their 2,000 calorie cheeseburger
and fries from McDonalds and puts it on Instagram.
 
I watched a video today of a poet who is receiving world wide recognition for a rather shocking photo series on menstrual blood that she did recently with her sister. Her name is Rupi Kaur and she writes about the things that most people don't want to talk about. At first she seemed a little bit... much.. but as she spoke, her honesty sparked something inside of me.
 
Rupi explained that sometimes, before she shares a poem or photo online, that she shows and talks to her sister or friends about it, wondering if it's too much or if it would be appropriate. Often, her sister tells her that if she's afraid to post it, she should definitely post it. That making people uncomfortable is ok. This concept was tremendous for me.
 
Many of you are close friends and family, or nosy. It doesn't matter which category you fall under, I post it online. You're welcome here :)
I was speaking to my friend online last year after a few rather transparent blog posts, and she said, "People just aren't used to this level of honesty... they don't know what to do with it." I felt guilty at the time. Now, I'm beginning to feel as if I should have owned my reality a bit more.
 
Most of us don't wear the negativity in our lives like a t-shirt.
The girls that post all of their drama on Facebook typically are labeled as attentions seekers,
 wherein people ignore them. This cycle is rather counter productive in my opinion...
 
If you were honest about your reality, what would your Facebook/T-shirt say?
"I'm exhausted. I haven't slept since my 2 year old was born..."
"I don't understand why he doesn't want me anymore.."
"She never wants sex... she must not care about my needs.."
"My father never sees me."
"My boss doesn't respect me."
 
"This is slavery, not to speak one's thought.."-Euripides
 
Some of you cringe when you think of posting something like this, and sometimes.. you're right.
 
Sharing something personal about your relationship without your partner's consent is unwise.
 
but...Sometimes being transparent about your problems can allow people to speak truth to your fears.
It allows people to reach out.
If people don't know you need help, they can't help you.
 
"Oh honey! I didn't know you haven't been sleeping! Let me come over and watch the baby so you can nap..."
 
"Relationships are difficult but communication would help, have you guys talked about this..?"
 
"Oh, my husband and I had the same problem... I know this great therapist.."
 
Honesty builds trust and relationships.
It relieves some of your burden and allows others to try and help you carry it.
Don't be ashamed of your reality. We're all living our own.
 
"Yawns are not the only infectious things out there besides germs.
Giggles can spread from person to person, so can blushing.
But maybe the most powerful, infectious thing, is the act of speaking the truth."
- Vera Nazarian
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment