Saturday, January 4, 2014

It Begins..

My new amigo Danielle and I decided to do a New Years Blog Challenge. 
Today is January 4th so I guess I'll just start with number 1. 

The single best thing that happened in 2013. 
I am terrible at rating things. I never give anything a 10. I need a life rubric. 
"Does this event meet all of the 'number one' qualifications?"

After seeking inspirational music, twiddling my thumbs, flossing my teeth and making some tea, I've concluded that continuing my education was my number one thing. Before this year I would have never picked up Voltaire, or Vonnegut.

I never thought I was capable of comprehending them and instead I've fallen in love. 

 In the past, I relied on others to decipher and I was able to decide my opinions based on their analysis. It does something for your spirit when your English teacher tells you that your paper was the best in the class or when your Art History teacher writes you personalized notes about how much she enjoyed your critique. 

I get it.
 I actually understand something. 
I'm smart... or something. 
Maybe I just care...
Whatever it is, I'm much more confident. 

My brother Sam was always the "smart" one.
He's got that insane ability to recall pretty much anything.
If I want someone to talk about, "Hey you remember that time..." Sam's the one to call.
He also just had a baby with his wife Heidi this year... and I've gotta say, I'm in love.
Sam may still say he's the smart one... ;)
but I feel much more confident in my own intelligence now than I ever have.

So... thank you college education.
 You have instilled something that I've never had... true self-worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment